Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Leviathan - A Review

Leviathan - Scott Westerfeld (bought)

Description:

It is the cusp of World War I, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. The Leviathan is a living airship, the most formidable airbeast in the skies of Europe. Aleksandar Ferdinand, prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battle-torn Stormwalker and a loyal crew of men. Deryn Sharp is a commoner, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered. With the Great War brewing, Alek's and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way - taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever.

My Thoughts:

What a fantastically fun book! I have to say I'm fairly new to the "Steampunk" genre but I am loving it.

This book is full of interesting machine and creatures alike. The Darwin creatures are amazing if not a bit gross at the same time lol. The Clankers are big, powerful, beasts of metal and are just as amazing as the Darwin creatures and maybe a little less gross lol.

Deryn is a 15 yr old girl who was taught the love of flying from her father. In the book she masquerades as a "boy" so she can become a soldier. I like her, she's spunky and full of life and not afraid to take chances.

Alex is the son of royalty who is on the run from just about everyone after his parents are murdered. I really like him as well. In many ways he and Deryn are very much alike.

Leviathan host several other characters who are interesting as well. The plot sucked me in and kept me reading every time I got a moment to do so. The story flows well and by the time I had finished the book, I wished the story hadn't ended so soon.

I look forward to reading book 2 in the series and seeing where Alex and Deryn end up. I also can't wait to see what exactly Dr Barlow is protecting with those eggs of hers.

If you're a fan of Steampunk or just an adventure fan in general, you should give this book a shot. I really think you would enjoy it.

Author's Website: Scott Westerfeld

2 comments:

Lisa said...

OMG, I read this book last December and LOVED IT. Here is the link to my review in case your curious

http://bookblabbing.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-leviathan-by-scott-westerfeld.html

Also, stay tuned because I recieved not one but TWO ARC's for Behemoth and will be doing a giveaway about 2 weeks before the release date in October!!!!!!!

SO glad someone else loved it as much as I did!

Ryan said...

So far I've only read two steam punk books, Whitechapel Gods and Bonshaker, and I loved them both. I've heard great things about this one so i really need to get it. Great review.