Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Once in a Full Moon - A review

Once in a Full Moon - Ellen Schreiber (NetGalley)

Synopsis:

Beware of a kiss under the full moon. It will change your life forever.

Celeste Parker is used to hearing scary stories about werewolves—Legend’s Run is famous for them. But when, after an unnerving visit with a psychic, she encounters a pack of wolves and gorgeous, enigmatic Brandon, she must discover whether his transformation is more than legend or just a trick of the shadows in the moonlight. Brandon may be Celeste’s hero, or he may be the most dangerous creature she could encounter in the woods of Legend’s Run.

The bestselling Vampire Kisses author, Ellen Schreiber, weaves together psychic predictions, generations-old secrets, a town divided, and the possibility of falling in love with a hot and heroic werewolf—the perfect formula for what happens...once in a full moon.


My Thoughts:

This book reminded me a bit of The West Side Story or The Goonies. You've got two opposing social groups going on. In this book, you get the Westsiders and Eastsiders. Both looking down there noses at each other. Then you have Celeste and Brandon. One from each side of the tracks, who find themselves hopelessly attracted to each other.

I will say this was an interesting take on werewolf lore than I've ever read before. Ellen' s werewolves don't really lose human form as so much as they grow extra hair everywhere and lose memories while in werewolf form.

In today YA standards, I would say this is a pretty tame book and I would think the younger YA crowd would enjoy it much more than the older YA crowd. This was a simple, easy read. It kept me entertained. It wasn't some great fiction piece writing wise but sometimes you just want something to be kept simple.

Author's Website:

Ellen Schreiber

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know someone who'd love this one!

fredamans said...

If this is anything like Goonies, I am sold! I love that movie and think they idea of a book along those lines would be highly entertaining.
Great review!

Cindy said...

Although I love opposing sides kind of stories, this one might not be for me. Great review :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

This is a new book for me and it sounds like a neat read. Thanks for the review! Sounds like something neat to read.