Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Shadow and Bone - A Review

Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo (publisher)

Synopsis:

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.
Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.
Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.


My Thoughts:

I tend to read my ARC's near the date of release but I was in the mood for a Fantasy read and this one just sounded way too good to wait. I am glad I picked it up. It was exactly what I was hoping it would be. Good vs. evil, magic vs monsters, legends and lore.

Alina was a character I couldn't decide if I liked or disliked. At least at first. She seemed very much a naive child, but as I read further I was given glimpses of her inner strength that just needed to find its way out. Once it did, watch out, she is amazingly strong gal.

The Darkling. I have mixed feelings about this characters. I can't really say why without giving too much away. Mal is my kind of Character. Strong and stready and faithful to the very end. He is the kind of guy any girl would want to have at her side.

I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series. I'm anxious to see where the story goes.

Author's Website:  Leigh Bardugo

3 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oooh, sounds like one that might be for me. :) THank you for the review. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Rainy of the Dark (Rainy Kaye) said...

This one has been on my TBR. Mainly because I love the cover lol I'll have to give it a go. Thanks for reviewing!

Anonymous said...

This does look like a good one. Just the right combo to make it interesting!